I was informed by Siggy’s recommendation of
http://dailynutmeg.com/ that there is a summer carillon concert
series 2014 in Brandford college courtyard every Friday night from 27, June to
August 14, beginning at 7:00pm.
What is a carillon? I’ve never heard of
that, to be completely honest. So I turned to Net for help, like I always do. Here is a photo and the definition.
A carillon is a musical
instrument that is
typically housed in the bell tower of a church or other municipal building. The instrument consists of at least 23 cast bronze,
cup-shaped bells, which are serially played to produce a melody, or sounded
together to play a chord. A traditional manual carillon is played by striking a keyboard — the stick-like keys of which are called batons — with the fists,
and by pressing the keys of a pedal
keyboard with the feet.
The keys mechanically activate levers and wires that connect to metal clappers
that strike the inside of the bells, allowing the performer on the bells, or carillonneur/carillonist to vary
the intensity of the note according to the force applied to the key.
For more information on carillons and the Yale university
guild of carillonneurs , please refer to http://www.yale.edu/carillon/carillon.html
Just like the independence day fireworks show, this summer carillon is an outdoor family gathering.It's fun! I love the sound, the music, and being together with the local family gatherings.
And I am so lucky to win the only lottery, a T-short as the prize.
I'm so glad you went! Sounds lovely!
回复删除